Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Wednesday 11 April 2018

Winding down

Wednesday, April 11th., Cadogan Square, London.

Another dull, rainy day. The question on the lips of everyone at the moment is: "Will it ever stop raining?" Last weekend it was quite bright and we had three days without rain, but people generally do not let facts interfere with their preconceived notion of things. I suppose I have the same tendency myself, but am too intimately involved with the principal to notice it! What I do notice is that the weather has a significant effect on the mood of people. I think I have hinted at this from time to time in my books but I might have made more of it.

I have been re-reading "Clayhanger". I feel that I have Edwin just right. That said, I suspect that only a reader who is himself rather of the diffident, melancholy, self-critical inclination is likely to fully appreciate how well-realised as a character Edwin is. Last might I read the scene between Edwin and Hilda in the cubicle/office of the shop. I don't think I could have improved on it. The dialogue seems to me to be authentic, and Edwin's emotional state is perfectly captured - it is a 'Goldilocks' scene! Most people think that "The Old Wives' Tale" is my best book but "Clayhanger" touches me more deply because there is so much more of me in it.

As regards work, I have finished reading Sullivan on Relativity, and I also read Montmorency's new little book "From Kant to Einstein". Those under my belt I have completed my article on Relativity for the Evening Standard. I find that I have five of these artciles in hand and may do another tomorrow. This is a reassuring situation. I feel as if the work I have to do before I go away is drawing to a close. I shall be in North Wales for a few days next week, quite by myself. Looking forward to it.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment