Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 6 March 2018

Punch-and-Judy Man

Tuesday, March 6th., Cadogan Square, London.

Serendipity. Just now and then a book falls into your hands which surprises and pleases you. Such is "Vagabonds and Puppets" by Walter Wilkinson. A slight and endearing volume to turn one's mind away from the mundanities of everyday existence. I liked it, and felt I would like the author. I found it very succulent. 

Image result for vagabonds puppets wilkinson
Walter Wilkinson and friends
Wilkinson is a puppeteer, and these are some of his reminiscences. I wouldn't be surprised to find he has more. I know a little about theatre, and when I think about it, Punch-and-Judy is theatre, and perhaps the best. For myself I would sooner watch Punch-and-Judy for a quarter of an hour for twopence than a West End drawing room comedy for two hours and a half for twelve shillings. It has one immense advantage. I can hear every word of the dialogue of Punch-and-Judy; of a drawing room comedy I catch merely a phrase or two here and there. Punch-and-Judy has other advantages - clear plots, swift action, satisfactory murders, farce as broad as the Mall, and a total absence of love scenes.

Wilkinson is a vagabond with the puppets which he made himself. He started off, short of fifteen shillings, in the garden city of Letchworth, and ended in a residential hotel, where his takings amounted to three pounds for a single performance. And what a romantic style of life. I envy him. He is a good sound writer, with a communicative 'sense' of the country, of roads, and of small towns. And he is vagabondishly cheerful, as becomes a Punch-and-Judy man. Though, for rest on a chilly night I prefer the roof of even a residential hotel to any star-studded firmament. Mr Wilkinson is different. he can perceive the humour of discomfort and hardship. I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment