Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday 17 March 2018

Interesting people

Sunday, March 17th., Hotel Californie, Cannes.

Image result for "Marie Van Vorst"Marguerite went to see her mother at Toulouse last Thursday but one, and returned last Wednesday. She has some idea of buying a house in Toulouse for her mother to live in, by which she means me buying a house as she has very little money of her own. I have carefully explained to her the reasons I have against the idea, but of course she is not interested in reason, being motivated, as most women are, by emotion. During her absence I was entertained by, and I entertained, Sydney Pawling, the cricketer, Julia Frankau, Marie Van Vorst, and Valery Larbaud. Marie is an American, now resident in France. A prolific writer and an interesting woman. Rather attractive. Probably the sort of woman I should have married. Larbaud is something of a dandy. From a wealthy family he has been able to indulge in a luxurious lifestyle. A ladies man, flirts with women as a matter of course. I think Marie sees through him pretty well. I hope so!

Image result for "Julia Frankau"
Julia Frankau
"Milestones" produced at Royalty on March 5th. Enormous success. Lee Mathews telegraphed "Unparalleled success!" We laughed at this characteristic telegram, but it almost seems justified. I am still coming to terms with the idea of being a successful playwright. If the early wave of enthusiasm is maintained I may be in a position to review my lifestyle. Shall we return to England to live? This will make the Toulouse house matter even more tricky.

Mrs. Frankau went back to England yesterday owing to a death. Quite what the point of reurning after someone has died is I don't know, but it seems to be the conventional thing to do. Showing respect they call it. She is Jewish, older than me and, I think, wiser. Her career has been varied and tinged with notoriety. Nobody's fool.

I finished over half of "The Regent" yesterday; that is in one month and one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment