Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 3 October 2017

Saviour of society?

Tuesday, October 3rd., Cadogan Square, London.

Well, what a kerfuffle has arisen from my article "What I Believe" published in the Express last month. It was the first in a series of articles by 'eminent persons' stating their beliefs. I confessed myself unable to believe in the divinity of Christ, heaven, hell, the immortality of the soul, or the divine inspiration of the Bible. To be frank I find it hard to understand how any intelligent thinking person can believe in these things. But it appears that I may have touched a nerve!
 
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/c2/a8/05/c2a805457b6b025371ac93737f5a9ccc--public-transport-historical-pictures.jpg A relative of mine in Liverpool tells me that on the day of publication at about 6.30 p.m. (after working overtime) he visited a number of newsagents and asked at each for a copy of The Daily Express. Each one replied "Sold out". At the fifth ( W H Smith in Lime Street) he asked "Why is the Express sold out?" He was told in a non-commital way "You won't find an unsold copy in Liverpool. Again he asked "Why?" The reply was "There is an article by Arnold Bennett". Such is fame, or is it notoriety?
 

Image result for Blumenfeld express
R D Blumenfeld
I have now written to the editor of the Express, Blumenfeld, because I am beginning to suspect a certain amount of hanky panky in the selection of letters about Christian dogma for publication. I have myself received quite a number of letters from people who are all of my way of thinking, and who complain that they have not been able to obtain publication of their letters in the Express. On the other hand I have not received a single letter from dogmatists complaining that their letters have been suppressed. Secondly, the number of letters from dogmatists published far exceeds the number of letters from anti-dogmatists published, whereas I have received many more favourable letters from anti-dogmatists than unfavourable letters from dogmatists. Wherever I go I am acclaimed as the saviour of society, and complete strangers stop me and supplicate for the honour of shaking my hand. How is this? I suspect Blumenfeld of jockeying the correspondence to suit what he imagines (quite wrongly) to be the popular view. Indeed I consider that the man who made me strike out from my article references to the Immaculate Conception would be capable of any dialectical iniquity.

No comments:

Post a Comment