Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 9 October 2017

My idea of fame

Monday, October 9th., At home.

Image result for rudyard kiplingI have been re-reading some of Kipling's short stories. They are good. I particularly enjoyed "The Man Who Would Be King" which was amusing as well as being a good adventure story.

Image result for hms majestic 1895I remember reading a few years ago that whilst taking part in an entertainment on board H.M.S. Majestic he read "Soldier and Sailor Too", and was encored. Then he read "The Flag of England". At the conclusion a body of subalterns swept him off the stage, and chaired him round the quarter deck, while "For he's a Jolly Good Fellow" was played by the massed bands of the Fleet and sung by 200 officers assembled. That's my idea of fame. I was intensely envious of his success. He is only a couple of years older than me but it is as if success has fallen into his lap. How to account for this? Of course he writes well, but so do a lot of others, including myself. It must be his subject matter of India and Empire - the exoticism appeals to those whose lives are humdrum, and plays on primitive emotions such as patriotism. Buchan has a similar appeal. I am still envious!

Out walking this morning. For once I was not trying to get ideas but just walking for pure enjoyment. It is hard for me to turn my mind away from the various projects I have in hand, but essential now and then. It was a dull, rather misty morning. Not much wind. Still quite green everywhere but close inspection shows the leaves turning and grasses dying back. I walked for three hours and hardly saw a soul which suited me perfectly. Sometimes it is good to just let the mind drift. I think it is not dissimilar to being asleep and is almost as relaxing. Couldn't tell you what I was thinking about. Mostly daydreaming. Probably imagining myself as popular as Kipling!

No comments:

Post a Comment