Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 19 May 2014

Positively revolting

Thursday, May 19th., Pension White, Florence

San Miniato
Church at San Miniato yesterday morning, in intense heat. I find that after 7 weeks of sightseeing I begin to discover beauties for myself, and to be quite sure that they are beauties. For example, the pavements and some neglected bits of frescoes at S. Miniato. 

Before that I went to Cooks and got money and tickets for Paris. The place was crowded with tedious and long-winded persons. Before that I bought bindings and a Galsworthy book. In the afternoon we went to see Pauline in her nursing home. Up a dusty hill that autos thundered down and horses were thrashed up. Most satisfactory home. 
For more on Pauline Smith in Florence see 'Friends in Florence'

Restaurant Lapi
I had a fearful headache, owing to dinner eaten at the Restaurant Lappi with the Vedres & Por on Tuesday night. We saw Gordon Craig there and his withered wife. But I preferred her to him. He had the looks of an intellectual hysteric, and egotist. By bits, I wrote a Chronicle article yesterday and today. This morning I saw the awful sight of groups of tourists 'doing' the Loggia Lanzi under Italian guides who spoke English. It was positively a revolting sight. I solaced myself by getting more money from Cooks and buying an ebony stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment