Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 13 May 2014

Political brothers

Saturday, May 13th., Comarques, Thorpe-le-Soken.

London day before yesterday. Barber still trying to sell hairwash to me. But he is a pretty good barber. I had a dreadful neuralgia. 


Noel Buxton
Lunch with the brothers Buxton. The elder told me the younger (my opponent as to pacifism in the Daily News) had ruined his sight in reading up facts for Lloyd George's Land Valuation. He cannot read at all, and can write very little. He looks much younger in every way than the bearded M.P. I like both of them very much. The younger thought the Reform Club 'uneconomic' - especially the hall - evidently he has very little aesthetic sense.




Charles Buxton
Charles Roden Buxton (1875 – 1942) was an English philanthropist and radical British Liberal Party politician who later joined the Labour Party. His elder brother Noel Buxton was a prominent figure in British politics, as was his cousin Sidney Buxton. Noel Edward Noel-Buxton, 1st Baron Noel-Buxton PC (1869 – 1948) was a British Liberal and later Labour politician. He served as Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries under Ramsay MacDonald in 1924 and between 1929 and 1930.



On the way to Sardinia House a man overtook and accosted me. It was Coveney, once articled clerk at Le Brasseur & Oakleys. I had not seen him for 23 years at least. I knew him at once and he me. It is true that he had written to me about a year ago asking if I was the A. B. he knew. He told me that S. whom I put into "A Man from the North" as Albert Jenkins, was now a middle-aged man and apparently very able.

No comments:

Post a Comment