Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 13 April 2014

A new direction

Friday, April 13th., Cadogan Square, London.

Thorpe, of British International Films, and Dupont, the German producer of "Vaudeville" and "Moulin Rouge" came to see me yesterday about writing a film story about Piccadilly, under the title "Piccadilly", for Dupont to produce; I agreed to write, and promised the first sketch for Tuesday. Today, I got away early, and began to think about the film. 

Then I walked to Dent's in Cockspur Street, where yesterday I had seen a bed-table watch, which I had the notion of giving to Dorothy. The price, £15, annoyed and repelled me, but in the end I yielded to the damned thing and bought it. Dorothy called for me at the Club, and at 3.50 I began to write my sketch for the film story.

It was interrupted by a grand nursery tea, this being Virginia's second birthday. It was all over at 5.30, after which I finished all the preliminary part of my film story. I hope to write the actual sequence of events tomorrow morning.

For more on the film "Piccadilly" see 'Back to Riceyman Steps'

Additionally for April 13th., see 'New life'

My daughter, Virginia, was born today at 7.50 a.m.
I went up to Welbeck Street at 9.30 and saw the child at 10 a.m., when she was two hours old. She weighed 8lb. 1 oz. and had a big head.
I was most dramatically struck when I saw the bassinette or cradle full of clothes lying all ready outside Dorothy's door.
I shall shortly be 59 years old, so today's event is profound indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment