Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 10 March 2014

Liaisons Dangereuses

Thursday, March 10th., Rue de Calais, Paris.

I wrote all day yesterday at "A Great Man", 3,400 words. And I can now see the end of it. With luck I shall finish it on Monday.

I can now see at once that "Les Liaisons Dangereuses" is a great work. It has the classic truthfulness and sobriety on every page. Letter XVIII in which Cecile describes the covert love scene between herself and the Chevalier Danceny is a most perfect and marvellous rendering of a young girl's feelings. It seemed to me to be one of the most beautiful things of the kind I had ever read.

No comments:

Post a Comment