Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 28 November 2013

Two fair ladies

Monday, November 28th., Les Sablons, near Moret.


I went to tea at Cornillier's yesterday and met inter alios, Mrs. La Gallienne and Mrs. James Welch (better known as the actress Audrey Ford). So I asked these two to dinner. We dined at the Place Blanche and then went to the Bal du Mouilin de la Galette, which was certainly more wonderful than ever as a manifestation of the French spirit. 


Mrs. Richard Le Gallienne

The fair was proceeding on the boulevard. When we went up to the Moulin the music of the hobby-horses was deafening. But when we came down the legal hour for music had passed, and we were all three struck by the ghostly feeling of these merry-go-rounds revolving, brilliantly lighted, but quite silent.
See also 'Parisian views', October 4th., -
http://earnoldbennett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/parisian-views.html


I tried to find a leading idea for the concert scene in "Sacred and Profane Love", but could not. I read late and dreamed about the scene all night, and got it all mixed up, and generally wasted a vast amount of energy with no result at all.

Additionally for November 28th., see 'Uncanny things' -
http://earnoldbennett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/uncanny-things.html

All this leads me to think of ghost stories, but I hardly think I have the sort of imagination to produce one effectively. My particular favourite is Dickens' "The Signalman". I cannot read it without a chill passing along my spine, my breathing becoming shallow and my heart starting to race! Dickens was a master of atmosphere and excels himself in this short story.

No comments:

Post a Comment