Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 29 November 2013

Loot of Cities

Monday, November 29th., Cadogan Square, London.

I didn't finally wake up till 7.58, very rare occurrence, as I had very few breaks during the night.

Daily Mail article by Birkenhead on me, in which he practically accused me of lying. 
Also see 'Storm in a political teacup', November 23rd., -
http://earnoldbennett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/storm-in-political-teacup.html

I went downstairs and wrote my reply to Birkenhead in the form of a letter to the Mail. When I took it to Miss Nerney she said that the Mail had telephoned for an article; so I crossed out the Sir, and Yours truly, and called it an article and charged £60 for it.

I have been re-reading "The Loot of Cities". Very imaginative idea of mine, and an engaging read. However, I don't think the series of stories fulfills the promise of its beginning. The story "Lo! 'Twas a Gala Night!" is rather weak, and the character of Cecil Thorold is sadly diminished by his being made to fall for Miss Fincastle; nor does she demonstrate the independence of character implied in the first story. My favourite story in the eponymous volume is "Mr. Penfound's Two Burglars". A very satisfying construction and consistently amusing. The ghost story, "The Episode in Room 222", is probably best overlooked.

Additionally for November 29th., see 'Byways of literature' -
http://earnoldbennett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/byways-of-literature.html

Mrs. Devereux had been to hear the trial of a crime passionel. A man had cut his wife's throat with a razor from ear to ear, but, through some fortunate movement of the woman, had only severed the skin. "A close shave!" said Schwob at once. I could see that he was extremely pleased with this really admirable comment. He beamed after he had said it.

No comments:

Post a Comment