Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 13 September 2013

Indications of affluence

Tuesday, September 13th., Villa des Nefliers, Fontainebleau.

My old Gaveau piano went on Saturday. I sold it for 250 frs., the money to be spent on hiring. I got a Pleyel grand instead. I had to spend Friday night in altering the arrangement of the whole room for the reception of the grand. Naturally when it came I had to spend a great deal of time in playing.



On Sunday morning arrived the first copies of "Clayhanger". It is the best produced of all my novels, I think; but I could have spared the girl's portrait on the cover. I read a lot of it, and thought it pretty good. A few misprints. On reflection I think it does contain more sociology than "The O.W.T." I had promised this in the prospectus of it, but I was afraid I had not fulfilled the promise. It was only when Marguerite began to read the book that I realized - without her asking any questions - how full of difficulties it must be for a stranger, and how unlike the ordinary good novel. 

On Sunday I at last finished a watercolour, of a flower bowl, that was not absolutely putrid.

Yesterday we went to Paris. Marguerite and Gabrielle at 7.24 and I at 8.56. I went straight to my coiffeurs, but owing to affluence de monde I had to be coiffed by the patron, who is not as good as either of the garcons, though good.  Hence I was disappointed of my expected perfection.



Additionally for September 13th., see 'A visit to Berlin' - http://earnoldbennett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/a-visit-to-berlin.html

Yesterday, before dinner, Max gave a full account of the rise of Baldwin. I wanted this for my first political article. It was a marvellous narrative and full of meat for me. All of us were enthralled.

No comments:

Post a Comment