Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 24 September 2013

A fine composition

Monday, September 24th., Yacht Club, London.

Marguerite came to town this afternoon. I worked till 3.30 p.m. and then, seeing I could do no more writing, and could reflect just as well in train, I came up to town so as to save half a day tomorrow. I was unwell and without energy all day. Nevertheless I worked satisfactorily in the train. Then air raid. 

I had a great subject for a watercolour on Saturday. I put my enceinte French-renaissance virgin (white) and the black juju that Molly Green brought from Nigeria for Marguerite, side by side, and called the picture "The Gods". A fine composition and a real subject. I started the sketch but couldn't finish it in the time. However, the subject will keep.

Additionally for September 24th., see 'French excursion' - http://earnoldbennett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/friday-september-24th.html

Yesterday I finished a story "The Heroism of Thomas Chadwick". This makes the third in about a fortnight. One of them, "Hot Potatoes", is just twice too long for the amount of material in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment