Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 29 April 2013

Self awareness

Wednesday, April 29th., Villa des Nefliers, Avon.



On Thursday last, the 23rd., we moved into our new house, Villa des Nefliers, Avon. By Monday morning we were sufficiently straight for me to resume my novel.







Ullman came down yesterday, fresh from U.S.A. [See also 'Parisian Life' - April 9th. http://earnoldbennett.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/parisian-life.html ]

I said: "What is your general impression? Is the U.S. a good place to get away from?" He said: "On the whole yes. But for a visit, I am sure it would interest you enormously." He said that I could form no idea of the amount of drinking that went on there. I said I could as I had already heard a great deal about it. He said: "No you can't." He stuck to it, though I tried to treat the statement as an exaggeration, that in the principal clubs everybody got fuddled every night.

Noticed in myself: A distinct feeling of jealousy on reading yesterday and today accounts of another very successful production of a play by Somerset Maugham - the third now running. Also in reading an enthusiastic account of a new novelist in the Daily News today, I looked eagerly for any sign to show that he was not after all a really first class artist. It relieved me to find that his principal character was somewhat conventional, etc., etc. Curious!

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic post. This is chock full of useful information. I reach a lot of blog posts and I never heard of a topic like this.
    movers and packers service in islamabad

    ReplyDelete