Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 8 April 2013

Playing hard to get

Thursday, April 8th., Comarques, Thorpe-le-Soken.

The rain is terrible. But I don't mind because I have given myself a most beautiful new waterproof, and I christened it this morning. A great success.
The days are long but very full. I work. I read. I walk. I do not go to bed before a quarter to twelve, midnight, and when I go to bed my only thought is of getting up the next day.
Beaverbrook has invited us for the weekend. I knew that if I kept quiet the chap would make overtures to me. He told me through Blumenfield, the Editor of the Express, that I had quite deserted him. I sent him a very stiff message through the same intermediary. These millionaires always think that everyone is the same as the over-eager crowd around them. But I find Max very congenial. He has the faults of his qualities - and of his money. And I will need him soon for my next novel. He will be indispensable to me for it. All the same, of course, I refused his invitation. I will see him in London one day. He is very touchy. It will do him good for me to treat him as just anybody. After all, why shouldn't I?

See also:
'Leading the High Life' - September 18th. <http://earnoldbennett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/leading-high-life.html>
'A visit to Berlin' - September 13th. <http://earnoldbennett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/a-visit-to-berlin.html>
'Country House Politics' - November 26th. <http://earnoldbennett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/country-house-politics.html>

1 comment:

  1. I have a sketch, possibly by the same artist, that is rather similar to the one illustrating your 8 April 2013 blog entry. Could you let me know where your image comes from?

    ReplyDelete