Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 29 January 2013

Strolling in Paris

Monday, January 29th., Paris.

After having written my T.P's W. article today I went out for a stroll through Paris, meaning to reach a bookshop on the Quai de Grands Augustins.



I went down the Rue Notre Dame de Lorette, which I think is the street that pleases me most in Paris - and I bought Arsene Houssaye's "Souvenirs de Jeunesse" which I have been reading tonight.




In the Passage Jouffray where I frequently find a book, I found nothing, and when I got to the Grands Augustins the etalage of the shop was already taken inside, it being 6.30.

I do enjoy these slow walks through Paris on fine winter afternoons: crowded pavements, little curiosity shops, and the continual interest of women. I walked back to the Chatelet station of the Metro. and went to the Concorde and thence walked to the Place de l'Opera, stopping at the Trois Quartier shop, where there are some very nice things.

Then I went to the Standard office, and Raphael came out and dined with me. I got home at 10. I have had several days of regular unhurried work lately, interspersed with such strolls. I have come to the conclusion that this is as near a regular happiness as I am ever likely to get.

Yesterday I finished the first instalment of "The Sinews of War", as the T.P's Weekly serial is to be called, and thought it very good.

Launched on 14 November 1902, T.P.'s Weekly was the latest publishing venture of Radical M.P. 
T. P. O'Connor, founder of London's halfpenny The Star and the penny weekly M.A.P. (Mainly About People) (1898) and Weekly Sun (1891). Priced one penny, T.P.'s Weekly promised "to bring to many thousands a love of letters", securing to this end contributions from a distinguished array of writers: George Bernard Shaw, Arnold Bennett, H. G. Wells, and G. K. Chesterton. In practice, O'Connor delegated most of the running of the magazine to Wilfred Whitten (whose byline "John O'London" supplied the title of another contemporary literary magazine, John O'London's Weekly). Whitten was succeeded in 1914 by Holbrook Jackson, under whose editorship the journal changed name in 1916 to To-Day. Shortly after the journal folded in January 1917, it was succeeded by another, unrelated magazine bearing the same name, which continued until 1924.

No comments:

Post a Comment