Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 19 November 2012

Preparing to write

Friday, November 19th., Villa des Nefliers.

Yesterday I finished making a list of all social, political, and artistic events, which I thought possibly useful for my novel between 1872 and 1882. Tedious bore, for a trifling ultimate result in the book. But necessary. To-day in the forest I practically arranged most of the construction of the first part of the novel. Still lacking a title for it. If I thought an ironic title would do, I would call it "A thoughtful young man". But the public is so damned slow in the uptake.
I am now getting to the end of my year's work. In a week, I shall have nothing to do except collection of information on the spot for the novel.
To-day I finished and mounted another water colour, of Arbonne, - one of my least rotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment