Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 21 October 2012

Getting ready to write

Thursday, October 21st., Les Nefliers

I find that if I am to begin my new novel, "Clayhanger", on 1st Jan. 1910, I must make a series of preliminary enquiries. I do this perhaps at the rate of half an hour or an hour a day. I have read "When I was a Child", and all I need of Shaw's "North Staffordshire Potteries", and tonight I re-read the "social and Industrial" section of the Victoria History, which contains a few juicy items that I can use. I work on the plot itself about once a week when I have an hour and feel like it.
Nothing at all occurred today, except that I began the actual transcription for my projected Dictionary of the Literary Ideas of W.S.Landor. I found this rather amusing and not in the least fatiguing. It is the sort of thing one could do whilst recovering from influenza.

No comments:

Post a Comment